for the filling
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
For the topping
- 2 – 3 sweet potatoes
- knob of butter
- grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees c
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan, fry the onions, carrot, celery and garlic for 15 minutes, turn up the heat then add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme, lentils and stock to the saucepan and simmer for approximately 35-40 minutes until the lentils are cooked.
- While the sauce is cooking, add the potatoes to a pan of boiling water and cook for approximately 15-20 minutes until they are soft, drain and mash with the butter, season with salt and pepper.
- When the lentil mixture is cooked stir in the tomato puree and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the lentil sauce into an oven proof dish, top with the mashed potato and sprinkle with cheese if you are using it.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until the topping is golden brown.