- 1 tbsp oil for frying (I use either coconut or rapeseed oil)
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 celery stalks finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 140g red lentils rinsed
- Aprox 230g cooked chickpeas drained and rinsed *
- 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp black onion seeds
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.
- Optional: Greek yoghurt to serve
*I use these ones but a 200g tin and a 400g tin would work perfectly (drained weight 240g).
- Heat the olive in a large saucepan over a medium / high heat.
- Fry the onion and celery for 5 minutes to soften, add the garlic and fry for 1 minute more.
- Add the lentils, stock, tinned tomatoes and spices and bring to the boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a food processor and blend until smooth. (I use a food processor but have to do it in 2 batches).
- Stir in the chickpeas and heat through.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and a wholemeal pitta (optional).
Adapted from a BBC recipe.